Youth Summer of Service Team Leader
Youth Community Service, Summer of Service Overview: Middle school students develop leadership skills, teamwork, and new friends in a fun, dynamic day camp. We empower students from Palo Alto and East Palo Alto to examine and address social issues through service learning. Team leaders are counselors and mentors for four 2-week sessions. Join our dedicated, fun-loving staff and make a difference this summer!
Starting Date: June 5, 2017
Ending Date: August 4, 2017
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TEAM LEADER:
1. Lead one team of 7 middle school students.
-Supervise students during service projects
-Implement YCS curriculum to teach 1 hour lessons on various social issues
-Facilitate reflection activities
-Ensure safety of all participants
2. Assist with large group Summer of Service activities
-Organize and lead team building activities and group games
-Supervise students on Fun Friday field trips
-Help facilitate morning and afternoon assemblies
3. Attend one-week staff training, participate in weekly staff meetings during the program and participate in the SOS/FLC Reunion at the end of the summer.
-Enjoy working with diverse groups of students in a multicultural environment.
-Experience working with incoming middle and high school students.
-Flexible and positive in an intense, dynamic, and sometimes stressful environment.
-Passionate commitment to sustainability, community service, service learning, and social justice.
-Able to work independently and as a team member.
-Must exercise excellent judgment, diplomacy, and sensitivity to all constituents.
-Must be current college or graduate student.
-Available to work 40 hours per week.
-Valid California driver’s license and driving record that meets the requirements of the City of Palo Alto.
– All YCS staff members are required to submit a copy of their automobile insurance, CA driver’s license and a clean DMV record.
– All YCS staff members are also required to submit results from a TB test and place fingerprints on record at the City of Palo Alto. YCS can arrange tests at no cost.
Compensation: $13-16 per hour
Application Timeline: Please submit both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.