Youth Community Service Summer of Service (SOS) Assistant Director
Start Date: May 15, 2017
End Date: August 4, 2017
Join our dynamic staff to plan and direct the summer program and work with young people to promote leadership, diversity, service and social justice. We use service-learning strategies to examine and address social issues and to build student awareness about their community and their own self-efficacy.
This position reports to the Summer Director for the YCS Summer of Service and Freshmen Leadership Corps program. This program offers four two-week sessions for 35 students each, from June 12, 2017 through August 4, 2017
I. Serve as the assistant camp director for the YCS Summer of Service and Palo Alto-based Freshmen Leadership Corps Camp. Assist with leading day to day camp scheduling and curriculum implementation, camp registration, parent informational night, student recruitment, and documentation.
II. Help develop and enhance relationships with local non-profit organizations, and public service institutions to benefit program and participants.
III. Help support the camp director in coordinating and planning for an one week of Summer of Service staff training the week of June 5th -June 9th to equip the five Team Leaders to lead diverse middle school and high school freshmen campers in service-learning experiences with community agencies in the areas of Hunger and Homelessness, Environment, Healthcare and Child Development, with an emphasis on sustainability.
Staff training will include proactive methods of positive behavior, 41 Developmental Assets, service learning, CPR/First Aid, conflict resolution, diversity appreciation, Parent Informational Night, and ongoing dialogue about the definitions and responsibilities of community. YCS works in partnership with the City of Palo Alto Recreation Department Summer Camps, some training will be provided by the City of Palo Alto.
IV. Help schedule and plan the eight-week calendar of daily field trips, service projects and Fun Fridays for the five teams.
V. Incorporate service-learning strategies into the camp curriculum.
– Bachelor’s Degree required.
– At least one to two years’ of experience working in an educational or service-oriented setting with middle and/or high school students.
– Passionate about commitment to community service, sustainability, service learning strategies and youth development.
– Effective verbal and written communication skills.
– Enjoy working with diverse groups of students in a multicultural environment.
– Ability to work independently and as a team member.
– Ability to use effective problem-solving skills in a fluid environment.
– Knowledge of Midpeninsula area preferred.
– Candidate must utilize own transportation for fieldwork (with mileage reimbursement).
– All YCS staff members are required to submit a copy of their automobile insurance, CA driver’s license and a clean DMV record.
– All YCS staff members are also required to submit results from a TB test and place fingerprints on record at the City of Palo Alto. YCS can arrange tests at no cost.
– Maximum hours are 40 hours per week.
– Employer of Record: Youth Community Service, in collaboration with City of Palo Alto summer camp programs.
Compensation: $15-18 per hour
Application Timeline: Please submit both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.